Saturday, May 2, 2009

Hypochondriac

I haven't blogged in a few days... this has been a crazy week for me. Here's a little info about me... I work in a clinic. I have been working in the healthcare industry for over 12 years. Why? It pays the bills... because if it didn't, I'd be GONE!!! I'm am the biggest hypochondriac known to man. You have a cold.... I can instantly feel a fever coming on. You have the flu.... I got a stomach ache. A friend of mine called me and told me her daughter had mono.... my throat instantly closed up. I went and got checked because a friend of mine told me she knew someone who had an STD. Whatever it is, I immediately get the symptoms. I have no idea why I haven't been fired yet.

So it's all over the media.... Swine Flu... aka H1N1.... aka what the hell and how can I avoid it? I was out of work for two days (due to something else) but when I get back to work, I had a swarm of emails talking about the swine flu... the more I read... the more symptoms I developed. By the time I had cleared out my Inbox, I was unable to breathe and I was on my way to get my 2 year old out of daycare. I didn't go back to work that day.... But when I did go back, the parking lot was full. I knew exactly what that was from... people were here because they had symptoms or thought they had symptoms... so I entered the building from the back. I passed by 2 patients on my way to the entrance and wondered if they noticed I held my breath until I was about 20 ft away. I almost passed out!!!

My boss made an announcement that we are being given "special face masks" to wear should we come in contact with a patient with a positive result. I put that thing on right away!! I don't even work with the direct public but I didn't care. I honestly wanted a mask that went over my whole head and pumped in oxygen. I don't care if I sounded like Darth Vader!!! Give it to me!!! Sure enough I started getting symptoms by Friday. I knew it was all in my head but I sat at my desk all day on Friday with my mask on and the only time I would take it off was to take my temperature. I know everyone that passed my cubicle thought I was all the way crazy!

Now I'm contemplating calling in crazy on Monday to work... I don't think I will be able to keep a sane mind! I am the person that puts 4-5 seat covers on the toilet... I am the person that flushes the toilet with my foot... I am the person that washes her hands, opens the bathroom door with a paper towel AND uses the antibacterial gel.... I am a Hypochondriac!

Please comment this blog and tell me how you handle it?? =o)

1 comment:

  1. Carly..that is so true. I think the whole world is in hypochondriac mode. Hey did you notice the great ad on Surgical Masks that the H1N1 virus? I just had to click on it a check it out ;o)

    ReplyDelete